Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 7000259
Historic Name (OLD) DOUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL
Description of Significance (OLD) DOUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL WAS OKLAHOMA CITYS ONLY ALL-BLACK HIGH SCHOOL DURING THE PERIOD OF SEGREGATION. CONSTRUCTION ON THE FACILITY BEGAN IN 1910, WHEN THE SCHOOL WAS KNOWN AS LOWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, AND IT SERVED WHITE STUDENTS ONLY. IN 1933, THE SCHOOL WAS DESIGNATED AS A SEGREGATED SCHOOL FOR AFRICAN AMERICANS IN THE AREA. THE NAME WAS CHANGED IN 1934 TO FREDERICK DOUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL IN SUBSEQUENT YEARS, THE NAME OF THE FACILITY WOULD CHANGE SEVERAL MORE TIMES. IN 1975, THE SCHOOL BECAME A COMMUNITY CENTER. IT ULTIMATELY CLOSED IN 1993. THIS SCHOOL IS DEEPLY TIED TO THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY IN OKLAHOMA CITY. THE FIRST BLACK HIGH SCHOOL IN OKLAHOMA CITY, DOUGLASS BECAME OF THE LEADING EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE REGION, RECEIVING NATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR EVENTS, ACTIVITIES AND THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF ITS GRADUATES. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 4/24/2007.
Current Name SAME
Address 600 N HIGH AVENUE
City OKLAHOMA CITY
County OKLAHOMA
Lot
Block 9, PARK PLACE ADDITION
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function EDUCATION: SCHOOL
Current Function WORK IN PROGRESS
Area Signficance 1 EDUCATION
Area Significance 2 ETHNIC HISTORY: AFRICAN AMERICAN
Date Prepared JUNE 2006
Year Built 1910, 1919, 1934
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder LAYTON, SMITH & HAWK; LAYTON, HICKS & FORSYTH; SOREY, HILL, AND SOREY -- ARCHITECTS
Architectural Style CLASSICAL REVIVAL
Roof Material CONCRETE/ASPHALT
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material METAL
Door Material UNCOLLECTED
Decorative Details
Condition FAIR
Comments
Restricted N